Thursday, December 10, 2009

seven

The police called. They wanted to inform us of the results of the trial of the man charged with the horrific hit and run of m last February. It seems that, in spite of the fact that we didn't press any charges, or appear as witnesses, or do anything other than give our statements in the few days following the accident, the man has been given 10 months of jail time, followed by one year of parole.

We had no say in the matter. The police and prosecutors were hellbent on nailing him, since he not only ran away from the scene, but never showed remorse or made any kind of attempt to apologize.

I think it was such a shocking scene, yet with such a lucky outcome, that we--m, M and me--have been fairly quick at getting it behind us. I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm kind of torn, knowing that I would have to deal with some serious feelings of retribution if m had suffered any kind of serious injury.

No comments: