Wednesday, May 11, 2011

where was I?

Oh yeah, now I remember. I was wandering around Jimbocho, looking at woodblock prints. Then a few things happened.
1) They closed my office down and laid off all the staff.
2) Japan's largest earthquake ever struck while all the employees were standing around like zombies.
3) That was followed by the horrific tsunami that took tens of thousands of lives and ruined so much of northern Japan's coastline of towns and villages.
4) And that was followed by a nuclear power fiasco that is still throwing people out of their homes and scaring a number of people into leaving the country.
5) In the midst of all that news of massive pain and anguish, I got the good news that my lungs are clear six months after the cancerous part was removed. I almost felt guilty at the rush I got from that announcement.

But life goes on, even if we've all been shifted to other locations on the surface of the earth. Frankly, I feel fine, but a little unbalanced, which is natural since I'm now living a few centimeters away from where I was previously.

3 comments:

Haakon Dahl said...

Congratulations! My Mother-in-law is in her 3rd or 4th bout with cancer. I suspect she's actually immortal and merely humoring the rest of us.
I'm a geo-junkie, so I found your blog engaging, and read huge swathes of it. I'm actually just up the road a bit, in Yokosuka Ikegami. I'm in the new-ish subdivision just behind the 7-11 if you get on the Yoko-Yoko from exit 7.
Whenever I've had a motorcycle here (none now, darnit), I have poked around "hilltopping" as I call it, to see the forgotten places excised from the public consciousness by tunnels and overpasses. And I am fascinated with WWII-era military fixtures and facilities; I look for gun rings on Google Earth and (used to) try to locate them in person.
Congratulations on your most recent good news, on the house, and wife's business.
Finally, I read with horror and relief your daughter's story from a couple of years ago. Amazing.

Cathy said...

Greg, I am so happy that you are blogging again. Please keep it up because I love reading about your life.
xxx

GRRATS said...

Thanks for reading, neighbor, and for the kind words. I used to use exit 7 a lot before they finished the long tunnel from the Zuyo toll road. I hope you're enjoying life in this area.