Tuesday, June 28, 2011

egret island

Another kayak trip, this one a bit further from the coast to a rocky little island that has been made into a bird sanctuary and is off limits to visitors. It's pretty cool to coast right up to it, though, and though they're not very visible in the low-res phone camera shot, the island is covered with gulls and egrets and the odd kite and other birds. The waves picked up on the way back, and it was fun to try to figure out how to move with the waves most efficiently. Sardines were jumping in front of me the whole way back (maybe I should just get like an insect net and tie it to the prow and see if I can catch a few). Spent about two hours all together, paddling pretty steady. I'm starting to get used to this, I thought, and was promptly reminded I was a novice by being dumped in the surf right in front of the house. It's a lot easier leaving the beach than getting back when the surf gets high and the very narrow cockpit that takes time to squeeze out of doesn't make it any easier.

No comments: