Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bright spots

 The end of the summer put on some spectacular sunset displays. I didn't get home in time to see a lot of them, but the ones I did see--on weekends and holidays--were amazing. These are all shot from our front window. The one above is shot with a friend's 200mm lens, since I don't have one.

This one (above) is on one of the two days they call--as I've mentioned before--"Diamond Fuji" days, when--on its way across the horizon--the sun sets just behind the crown of the mountain.  If you look straight out our window facing the sea this angle is at about 45 degrees to the right. In mid winter the sun sets straight out the window; mid summer probably 60 degrees to the right.
  
This last one is an example of a tumor seen on a  PET CT scan, almost exactly the way my tumor looked when they first showed it to me. The bright spot is where the radioactive tracer has collected at the tumor. I met with the surgeon yesterday, and we've decided to have the surgery on October 18th. The MRI of my head and the CT of my insides have shown that there isn't any spread, so I'm very thankful for that. They're going to have to take out the middle lobe of my right lung, but the lung capacity tests were good, and the doc said I may lose as little as 10 percent of my capacity. I don't have much time to make a difference, I guess, but I'm going to start trying to up my breathing capacity before the operation. 


No comments: