Thursday, October 8, 2009

typhoon melor

Just got off the phone a little while ago with the contractor.

Just prior to that, my friend Bruce called from Hayama, which is just down the road from Akiya, to tell me that the super typhoon that has just soaked half of the country has wreaked quite a bit of havoc along the coast. Bruce's place is also on the sea, and he said 4-meter waves were crashing on his sea wall; that windows of buildings all around him were shattered; that cars had been shoved around by the floodwater; that earth had been washed all over the roads.

So I called the site foreman with some fear, though I kept telling myself that they would have called me if anything was wrong. He assured me that all is still standing, though he said the windows were completely white from the salt spray. That's something I got used to at the old place, and now that we have double the windows, I presume I'll be spending a lot of time rinsing them down.

The foreman said that the waves were reaching the base of the sea wall at the bottom of our property, but no higher. That means, of course, that it's the annual washout of all the kana, the tall orange and yellow flowers that are destroyed each typhoon season yet miraculously return to their previous glory by the next spring.

No comments: