Friday, July 24, 2009

unklnik at the beach


There has been far too much in this blog recently about wood and woodiness and worthiness and wordiness, so it's time to depart from the main theme of this blog to share the above, which arrived in the post from our London correspondent, Unclnik. I am honored to have inspired a new piece of awe-inspiring performance art from this fertile mind. (For the original art in my post, go here.) But Unclnik does more than hang out at the beach, he finds his way into the most social of activities, the most recent of which he shares with us here:

And here:
And here:


And then there's this one from when he was working alongside me at Kodansha International. (That's me with nose to grindstone in the foreground trying to ignore the unfortunate rumbles emanating from Unklnik's furry nostrils, and I apologize for the croissant crumbs on my tie, which ruins what I otherwise remember to be a quite memorable ensemble.)


He was a contract worker--what's known here as an arubaito, but he soon tired of the daily grind and went back to washing dishes at the convent, where he found the company not only more attractive, but more pleasant--and more willing to put up with his grumbling.

No comments: